Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Art Contests - I win at arts

So I entered an art contest back in early January, simply because I could.
Well it turns out I won.

"Scheree had a beautiful portrayal of the last scene of the season that was really mind-blowing." - brandon

Wow. I did not think I had any chances at winning.

The first years might remember the drawing, I showed it in my photoshop talk :)


I think as artists and animators, participating in competitions is a worthwhile venture; and I don't mean simply for the sake of winning. They're great practice for deadlines, give you something to strive towards and if the right people see it, it can even open doors. Not to mention be a great addition to your portfolio.

And you never know, you might be surprised and find you win.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Scheree.

    Competitions can also a negative aspect we can discuss sometime.

    Your comments about them teaching about deadlines and preparing for project delivery are very important.

    The portfolio addition and the opening of doors to netwroking with other top artists or industry are definitely another positive.

    It is so exciting that you chose to showcase your process for this award winning work in your Photoshop tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, well done! Will you be posting your Photoshop tutorial? I've used Corel for the past 20 years and I'm Photoshop-curious. How does a free app like GIMP stack up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone :)

    We should make competitions a class discussion one day (a day I'm there preferably). It would be interesting to weigh up all the pros and cons.

    My photoshop tutorial will be posted online. My progress at editing up the video has been slowed down because I've been sick.

    I've never used GIMP so I don't know how it stacks up against Photoshop. Any program can be good. In the end it comes down to the user and how they use it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome news, I'm excited to see what happens when you go to meet them - you've caught their attention, so I'd imagine you'd be worth some of their time. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete