Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Amination! Feel the burn.

Over the past few weeks (since holiday break started) I've been trying to be creative... and doing a lousy job at it. I mean I want to draw! I want to get these ideas out of my head but I found I just couldn't focus and my head felt very fuzzy.

Turns out I burnt myself out creatively. After a week of sulking I talked to my flatmates and they suggested trying to do something else creative to get out of my rut.
So at their recommendation I started writing. And lo and behold 2 days later I'm back feeling creative as ever! Huzzah!

So my point. What do you guys do when you're feeling in a rut, burnt out or just not at all creative?

With my creativity back I'm animating like crazy. I'm behind schedule.
Here's some rough animation I did yesterday. Got a few bugs to fix, but otherwise I'm very happy with it :) on wards final cleanup and colour!



I also won acompetition a week back. It was more a 'make a creative video' comp than and animation comp. Anywho this is what I came up with:


Please ignore the horrible lip-sync. I messed up and uploading it pushed it even more out of sync. I loved doing the swirls though, maybe I'm better suited to special effects animation rather than character animation.

All animated in Photoshop. In my opinion regarding the animation tools in Photoshop... If Adobe just made a version of flash that animated with the raster tools from Photoshop life would be so much easier. Animating in Photoshop the way it's presently aid out (and I'm talking CS5) is clunky and a pain in the bum.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you recovered your creative mojo. Well done on winning the creative competition, definitely show that it is worth entering, worth creating and 'doing' animation as a form of procrastination for a major project.

    I can't remember the stair climb in your animatic, so I'm interested in that 2d blocking. It's half way through a week, so another 50 frames should be done :)

    Look out that window, great weather to animate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys :)

    This isn't for my major if that's what you're thinking Frank. This is for my ProtoNinja entry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room you made has a nice warm atmosphere. Good to hear you're out of your creative rut. I find alternating between drawing and writing definitely helps with this. :)

    ReplyDelete