Thursday, March 25, 2010

How to Train Your Dragon. The review.

So. How to Train Your Dragon. Just got out of the movies roughly an hour ago. It was awesome. So very awesome. Okay just saying awesome is probably not the right way to describe it. So lets look into why I think it's awesome.

Visually everything is stunning. From the detail of the backgrounds to the characters. Hell, five minutes in and I was amazed by the visual effects of the fire alone. What I enjoyed the most though were when Hiccup and Toothless flew through the clouds. Now I like clouds in general, especially when they're hit with all the different light. In my opinion this was pulled off spectacularly.

The characters themselves, both dragon and human, were appealing. I particularly liked the interactions between Hiccup and his father Stoick. Like father, like son. I was actually worried for a little while about Jay Baruchel, the voice of Hiccup. Having only really seen the trailer, something about them made him (Hiccup that is) seem whiny. It may have just been the lines they chose for the trailer, but I am very glad to say that he pulled off the role wonderfully.
The dragons themselves pulled off the right kind of scary and were still appealing. They felt like dragons. Fearsome and awe-inspiring.

John Powell pulled off yet another beautiful score. It accompanies the film very well, embracing the feel and theme of the two very different worlds of the Vikings and the dragons. I especially enjoyed the surplus of strings instruments within the score. It is very worth while sitting through the credits if only to listen to the score (though of course as animators we would also be appreciating all those names and stuff... yeaaah)

The only negative thing I have to say in regards to the evening, not particularly towards the film, is that seeing it in 3D was unnecessary. It would have been just as spectacular had it been without.

Overall, there's my impression of the film.

I'm glad to say that Dreamworks have highly impressed me with the quality of the story and not just the amazing art form. I have to admit I've got very mixed feelings towards Dreamworks Animation as a whole, mostly because none of their films have left a lasting impression on me story wise. The quality of the art they produce has always been fantastic however, mostly for me, when the story is lacking no matter how pretty it may look it's just not that appealing.

I am very glad to say that How to Train Your Dragon has left me with the most wonderful feeling.

If you go to see it expecting to see the book, prepare to be disappointed. This isn’t Harry Potter. While it's indeed based around the book, it's entirely different at the same time.

Chris Sanders, thank you and you're amazing team for giving us a superb movie.

I look forward to seeing it again with the class next week and all the discussion that will indeed follow.

Check out the How to Train Your Dragon Blog, if you haven’t already. It's got some amazing behind the scenes footage.
Thank Tim for finding it :)

3 comments:

  1. Excellent review, Scheree... guess I had better go see this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh?? Now im excited! Are you still coming thursday?
    Soooo dressing up! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I'll be there Thursday. Wouldn't miss another screening for anything :D

    ReplyDelete